   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] XSieve: XSLT + Scheme

  Hi Uche,

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:59:46 -0600
Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

> > > Why is that controversial?  If the entities are created by extension
> > > elements, it should be perfectly legitimate.
> >
> >   Yes, it's legitimate, but entities are foreign to XSLT, and creating
> > entities is something of the same style as disable-output-escaping.
>
> Hmm.  I'm not sure I see why.  Does specifying CDATA section elements in
> output fall under this umbrella as well?

  I think no. I haven't heard of misuse of CDATA.

>  I don't think anyone says it's
> bad to ever use disable-output-escaping.  I think it's more that people
> know that using it is *almost always* a result of the user's not quite
> knowing what they are doing.  If someone knows what they're doing, I
> don't see a problem in specifying entities for output.

  I'm fully agree with you. And I think that generating entities is yet
another example of "not quite knowing" vs "knowing" issue.

Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme