   RE: [xml-dev] basic qs - how is xml more flexible for exchanging data?

Permathread # ?

It saves you from arguing about lex/syntax, and it has
a reasonably robust structure.  Past that, you
get into applications so YMMV.  There are some reserved
attributes and namespaces but for the sake of brevity,
I won't go there.

XML is not now nor has it ever been the ability to
blindly exchange information.  It IS sharing at the
primitive level of a parser but not names or types.
For that, you have to step up to the next layer
of description such as what a schema language provides,
and then you have to be sure you share that.

No free lunch at the semantic table.  XML doesn't care
so you have to.  It's better than delimited ASCII because
it has structure and relies on Unicode.

len

From: Anil Philip [mailto:goodnewsforyou@yahoo.com]

I would agree that XML is human readable and that
XML+HTML is probably better than HTML. However, I was
wondering:
When we used C, (I guess there's an entire generation
that didnt need to learn it :)), one transferred data
using structs.
eg.
/* from memory... */
struct Foo {
int i;
char[] str;
long j;
};

The Sender and Receiver were tied into explicitly
knowing about Foo's structure - and so were considered
tightly coupled, a bad thing.

With XML, one is sending the description together with
the data in a tagged text file. However, in most cases
of data transfer, the code of both Sender and Receiver
still has to know the structure of Foo especially when
parsing the data file. So how is it more flexible or
even better? (apart from endian stuff)
thanks,
Anil Philip