   Re: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting is better"

Re: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting is better" ?Roger
Costello wrote:
>> Hypothesis: The Role of an XML Document is either as a Storage Medium or as a
Transport Format

>> 5. Ken: you mentioned the case of XML being stuffed into a relational
database as a whole document (i.e., not shredded into tables), and applications
operating directly on the XML documents in the database.  How does this fit into
the above categories, or does it?

Shredding vs. native document storage in an SQL database isn't an either/or
decision. Some applications may require that you do both -- move content into
normalized tables but preserve the original in a column.

As for whether a document is a storage medium or interchange medium, would we
use
the same scheme to classify paper documents?

If you consider a tax return, for example, it's serves multiple purposes
(transport and archiving). That's true
whether we're filing a paper tax return or electronically filing an XML
document.