   Transmission of XML Data

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Transmission of XML Data
  • From: basudeb gupta <basudeb0001@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:33:42 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: 'xml dev' <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Hi,

Here is another question of an ignorant person.

How is the XML Data actually exchanged? Is it in its
full glorious expanded form? If so, is it not a great
loss of bandwidth?

If not, I assume there are compression mechanisms
available in the send and receive functions used by
such programs which exchange XML data? Can someone
please guide me on the current state of the art?

I, coming from working on a protocol called SIGCOMP,
feel strongly that an exchangeable compression
decompression format may also be quite suitable for
XML data exchange.

Am I redreaming the wheel?

Thanks
Basudeb