   Re: [xml-dev] Transmission of XML Data

  • To: basudeb gupta <basudeb0001@yahoo.com>, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Transmission of XML Data
  • From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: 'xml dev' <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Here is a link having information about XML encryption
http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlAndEncryption.html

You said, there is bandwidth wastage while exchanging
XML in expanded form. I feel people might be doing
tradeoff between bandwidth consumption, and the extra
processing power consumed at sender and reciever end
for encryption and decryption.

Regards,
Mukul

--- basudeb gupta <basudeb0001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is another question of an ignorant person.
>
> How is the XML Data actually exchanged? Is it in its
> full glorious expanded form? If so, is it not a
> great
> loss of bandwidth?
>
> If not, I assume there are compression mechanisms
> available in the send and receive functions used by
> such programs which exchange XML data? Can someone
> please guide me on the current state of the art?
>
> I, coming from working on a protocol called SIGCOMP,
> feel strongly that an exchangeable compression
> decompression format may also be quite suitable for
> XML data exchange.
>
> Am I redreaming the wheel?
>
> Thanks
> Basudeb