   RE: [xml-dev] Getting attributes of XML from XSD...

If the attributes are defined as fixed, then they must also be present in the XML instance, and a schema processor will validate that the value in the instance matches the fixed value in the schema. If you schema defines a default value, then a schema processor will extract the default value from the schema and insert it into the XML document. So the simple answer to your question is that you need to put your document through a schema processor: you can regard this as a processing stage that follows raw XML parsing. Java-based schema processors such as Saxon and Xerces will operate within a SAX pipeline so your application can still receive the data (augmented with default attribute values) as a stream of SAX events.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

From: Ashish Gupta [mailto:guptash@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 October 2005 08:44
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Getting attributes of XML from XSD...

HI,
I have one XML file which is confirming to one XSD. In XML, attributes can be optional. But in XSD, attributes are FIXED type and I want to extract the values of attributes from XSD if they are not present in XML file. I will be parsing the XML file using SAX. How can I get the attributes values from XSD? Please help me as I am stuck in one mission critical project. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ashish