   RE: [xml-dev] Small company makes big claims on XML patents

Heck, we might as well enjoy this.  A fellow posted the
first essential claim on cNet.  Here it is.  The game
here is to play patent reviewer and given prior art
you approve, review these claims.

We should carry this over to XML 2005 as such claims
actually do influence town hall discussions such as
<shamelessPlug>XML Document formats</shamelessPlug>.

I suspect that gencode systems (circa 1967-69) alone can
beat most of these but be careful because these guys
claimed more than XML actually does.

The claims are:

1. A method of organizing and storing a set of information in neutral form
in a computer based environment comprising the steps of:

a) organizing the set of information into instance data sets;

b) defining a time basis for the collection of instance data sets;

c) organizing each instance data set into an instance cluster comprised of
data instance nodes;

d) assigning to each data instance node in an instance cluster a
distinguishing structural tag comprising the following three components:

a data reference;

a data type;

a data organization;

e) defining the components of the structural tag for each data value in each
instance cluster;

f) assigning properties of the data value to each structural tag;

g) storing the names of all of the structural tag elements together with
their respective definitions and properties in a suitable format;

h) combining each data value and its respective structural tag to form a
neutral form expression of the data; and

i) storing the resultant neutral form expression of the data value.

Let the game begin.

len