   Re: [xml-dev] Small company makes big claims on XML patents

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Heck, we might as well enjoy this.

does mathematics have the same problem - mathematicians patenting
theorems and then licencing them to other theorems?

:)

if i incorporate a theorem into a software patent do i then own the theorem?

i religiously date all my work so that when you come to sue me, at least
i have documentation as to when i did things and can then explain how it
was that i contravened your patent by using knowledge that was not yet
invented (and therefore i couldn't possibly have used it) and not
communicated to anyone (therefore it wasn't actually known at that
stage) - ergo i couldn't possibly have used the knowledge you claim i
have used and therefore i can't possibly have contravened your patent.

bumble bees again

and permathreads....

>A fellow posted the
>first essential claim on cNet.  Here it is.  The game
>here is to play patent reviewer and given prior art
>you approve, review these claims.
>
>We should carry this over to XML 2005 as such claims
>actually do influence town hall discussions such as
><shamelessPlug>XML Document formats</shamelessPlug>.
>
>I suspect that gencode systems (circa 1967-69) alone can
>beat most of these but be careful because these guys
>claimed more than XML actually does.
>
>The claims are:
>
>1. A method of organizing and storing a set of information in neutral form
>in a computer based environment comprising the steps of:
>
>a) organizing the set of information into instance data sets;
>
>b) defining a time basis for the collection of instance data sets;
>
>c) organizing each instance data set into an instance cluster comprised of
>data instance nodes;
>
>d) assigning to each data instance node in an instance cluster a
>distinguishing structural tag comprising the following three components:
>
>a data reference;
>
>a data type;
>
>a data organization;
>
>e) defining the components of the structural tag for each data value in each
>instance cluster;
>
>f) assigning properties of the data value to each structural tag;
>
>g) storing the names of all of the structural tag elements together with
>their respective definitions and properties in a suitable format;
>
>h) combining each data value and its respective structural tag to form a
>neutral form expression of the data; and
>
>i) storing the resultant neutral form expression of the data value.
>
>Let the game begin.
>
>len

>!DSPAM:43595ecb41992002516963!

begin:vcard