   RE: [xml-dev] Small company makes big claims on XML patents

>does mathematics have the same problem - mathematicians patenting
>theorems and then licencing them to other theorems?

Coming soon.  If the patent rules change to 'first to file' instead
of being prior-art based, just about any thing that can be will be.
Patents are now trading currency.

>if i incorporate a theorem into a software patent do i then own the
theorem?

Depends on the essential claims.

>i religiously date all my work so that when you come to sue me, at least
>i have documentation as to when i did things and can then explain how it
>was that i contravened your patent by using knowledge that was not yet
>invented (and therefore i couldn't possibly have used it) and not
>communicated to anyone (therefore it wasn't actually known at that
>stage) - ergo i couldn't possibly have used the knowledge you claim i
>have used and therefore i can't possibly have contravened your patent.

IANAL.  But I am advised that dated documentation plays a key role in
approving prior art.  Here at Intergraph, we have a building dedicated
to warehousing documents.  Had the early markup folks patented, they
would own the world wide web.

>bumble bees again

No.  Real problem here.  That attitude taken toward EOLAS means right
now, embeds are something someone is paying a license to implement. It
is very smart to keep up with technical developments in a field and not
rely on the myths that lead one to think just because luminary names
are attached by repetition to an innovation it is historically accurate
or legally provident.  The EOLAS decision turned on what most here would
have considered a minor technical detail (terminate and stay).

>and permathreads....

A permathread means the issue bifurcated and never resolved.  The fact
of the number of permathreads for XML-Dev doesn't mean the Devers are
obtuse or tendentious.  It means they have a set of unresolved issues.
This one only resolves when the rules change or we adapt and get
smart enough and well-practiced as troll-exterminators.

Study the EOLAS review.  The web was fielded witlessly.  Now the locusts
have come to eat well.

len