   RE: [xml-dev] Schema constraints from a different file?

At 10:44 AM 10/23/2005, you wrote:
Basically, I would like to develop schemas that impose
>>>constraints on an element or attribute in one XML file based on
>>>element or attribute values from another XML file.  Is this at
>>>all possible?  I would consider making a file containing just a
>>>list of all available item IDs, if that would help solve the
>>>problem.
>
>Theoretically, I think this could do the trick:
>
>   (1) Include the XML document that contains IDs into the document that
>       refers to them via a parsed external entity [XML Rec, 4.2.2, 4.3]
>
>   (2) Use WXS key/keyref feature [WXS, Part 1, 3.11] to encode your
>       referential constraints.
>
>(1) will physically keep the data in separate files, but the processor
>should pull them together, so the schema (2) could be written as if the
>data was present in a single file.

Let me see if I understand.  The external entity could look like this:

<item id="abc123"/>
<item id="def456"/>

Then in some other XML document the DTD will include these lines:

<!ATTLIST item id ID #REQUIRED>
<!ENTITY itemlist SYSTEM "itemlist.xml">

and later in the body of the document:

<items>&itemlist;</items>

Something like this?

But if I am already using a DTD to describe my document, can I use a schema
as well?