   RE: [xml-dev] Schema constraints from a different file?

Dmitry Epstein said:

> But if I am already using a DTD to describe my document, can I use a
> schema as well?

It depends on the particular software you are using. As you would know,
everyone has worked very hard to make sure XML doesn't have a consistant
processing model or reliable inclusion structure. People are very proud of
this, and justifiably so. It has all been done to promote two of the
original XML goals: "There should be as many options as implementations"
and "Entities should not be multiplied except by zero."  We learned from
SGML, where the options were multiple but standardized, that there is an
alarming tendency to spiral into a common subset based on industry
practise, which is counter productive to innovation, employment and
randomness.

So you will need to check that your particular software either is validating
or (if it is not) performs entity inclusion. And, in order to be helpful,
I believe some platforms allow Schema or DTD validation but not both. If
you have trouble, please post back to XML-DEV.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe