   RE: [xml-dev] RE: description of the logical or semantic structure

  • To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>, "ludger goeke" <ludgergoeke@gmx.de>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] RE: description of the logical or semantic structure
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:10:27 -0500

> No, the tags in your markup are arbitrary strings. It's your
> description of the markup "When I say Name, I mean personal
> name" that conveys the semantics. There's arguably a default
> description "When I use a tag that's an English word, I use
> it with the same meaning as that English word", but that's
> still something that's external to the XML document itself.
> The tags have no meaning without an external explanation of
> their intent and usage.

Not sure if anyone is doing this (or has thought about it), but it seems
to me that if one included a reference (URI) to an instance of an OWL
class (or property of a class) then that can be a step in the right
direction.

So perhaps one could have:

<Name owl-ref="www.someuri.com">Peter Smith</Name>

where "owl-ref" (attribute name simply chosen by me for this response)
refers to an OWL class/property that conveys that "This is the full name
of a Person".

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate