   RE: [xml-dev] RE: description of the logical or semantic structure

> Not sure if anyone is doing this (or has thought
> about it), but it seems
> to me that if one included a reference (URI) to an
> instance of an OWL
> class (or property of a class) then that can be a
> step in the right
> direction.
>
> So perhaps one could have:
>
> <Name owl-ref="www.someuri.com">Peter Smith</Name>

It is quite interesting. In fact lot of standards do
take this approach (like XML Encryption/Signature),
and they predefine some URIs that "attribute" a
"meaning" to the element's content.

There was a recent conversation titled "Non-schema
approach to web service design: comments?" in this
mailing list - I suggested the same approach to solve
the problem of conveying some semantics to the data -
either at creation time (through XSD fixed attribute
values) or at usage time.

-rams

http://farechase.yahoo.com