   RE: [xml-dev] Validating XML documents containing xml:*

Ahh, but which spec are we talking about conforming to?

There's an inconsistency between the Schema spec and the XInclude spec, see
http://weblogs.asp.net/cazzu/archive/2005/01/10/XsdAndXInclude.aspx "So,
either you modify all your schemas to that each and every element includes
those attributes (either by inheriting from a base type or using an
attribute group reference), or you validation is bound to fail if someone
decides to include something." The problem is that we get bug reports from
people wanting to use XInclude with schemas they can't fix up to be
compatible with XInclude.

Stan talks about the rationale behind Microsoft's approach to addressing
this in http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2005/05/11/416639.aspx