   Re: [xml-dev] Validating XML documents containing xml:*

On 11/7/05, Michael Champion <michael.champion@hotmail.com> wrote:
Ahh, but which spec are we talking about conforming to?

There's an inconsistency between the Schema spec and the XInclude spec, see
http://weblogs.asp.net/cazzu/archive/2005/01/10/XsdAndXInclude.aspx "So,
either you modify all your schemas to that each and every element includes
those attributes (either by inheriting from a base type or using an
attribute group reference), or you validation is bound to fail if someone
decides to include something." The problem is that we get bug reports from
people wanting to use XInclude with schemas they can't fix up to be
compatible with XInclude.

XInclude processors may "at user option"  drop the addition of the xml:base and xml:lang
fixup which is the problem they are seeing. See errata PEX16
   http://www.w3.org/2004/12/xinclude-errata/#PEX16
It sounds way cleaner to drop the non-conformant XSD user option and instead add a
user option for XInclude following this errata.

Daniel