   RE: [xml-dev] Xml file sizes

  • To: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab@purdue.edu>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Xml file sizes
  • From: "Nathan Young -X \(natyoung - Artizen at Cisco\)" <natyoung@cisco.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:20:19 -0800

Hi Wayne.

You probably wouldn't design XML that way.  If you used <person>
elements with <name> and <address> children, you could use an XML query
language (xpath for example, there are several) to ask questions of your
document like "how many people live on elm street" or "give me the
addresses of everyone whose name starts with J"

Really, it makes little sense to look at an XML document and a (for
example) csv file and try to decide which is better.  You're more likely
to make a good decision if you start with what you need to do with your
data, and then explore how people have solved that set of problems for
various data formats that exist today.

In terms of discussions on this list, the general question "why choose
XML over (something else) when XML is (more bloated)(too
hierarchical)(not hierarchical enough)(not supported by the right
tools)(too trendy)(not binary)(too document oriented)(too data
oriented)(too arbitrary)(not restrictive enough)(too restrictive)(etc
etc etc)"  is a permathread.

In particular, "XML files are too big" has been shown to be irrelevant
to a significant majority of applications and very important within a
very specific subset.  If you are worried that your particular
application will suffer performance-wise because you use XML, you should
provide the details to the list and it's likely that someone with
relevant knowledge can give you a fairly specific idea of what to
expect, based on real world experience.

---->Nathan