   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema and Chessboards

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema and Chessboards
  • From: "Ken North" <kennorth@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:15:05 -0800

Michael Kay wrote:
> Whatever representation you choose, validating whether an input document
> represents a legal position is almost certainly beyond the capability of XML
> Schema.

Or valid solutions to the N Queens problem.

Jon Tompson Coon wrote:
> Now, the board is as deterministic as they come, so as far as I understand
this would be little more than trivial ...

Hmm .. reminds me of a comment by John F. Burlingame:

"The prediction has been made ... that a computer will be the world's chess
champion within the next decade. What is significant here ... is that it will
take roughly a decade for enough progress to be made to handle a problem which
has no unknowns ...".

Burlingame wrote that in 1961. The prediction was optimistic. It was almost
three decades (Deep Blue defeated Kasparov in 1997 and Deep Junior tied him in
2003).

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com