   Re: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Going long here.  Sorry.
>
> We seem to be able to use MS Word here to do that.  We rely on:
>
> o Templates (not much more than a copy of the outline with the styles set)
>
> o Common sense (don't be creative and the styleGoons won't come to see you).

What happens when you want to change the Templates style corporation
wide for a set of docs - say a copyright footer change (copy and paste
into the new template?)? What happens when you want to change what has
been sent to the client (rather than what can be viewed by a client)?

> Controlling the chimps is expensive and the bonobos won't pay attention
> anyway so don't waste your time or money.
>
> Lots of things are going on here including politics that would make
> NicTheMach proud, but the trouble is we really don't have a way to
> say when something is
>
> a) open b) open enough c) good enough

you said not to talk about the politics :) Sure there is politics - OO
is trying to unwedge MSFT. There are those who care deeply one way or
the other and those who just want to get their assignment done.

I just think the whole model of a MSWord, OOWrite or PDF sucks. I can't
understand why the luminaries are pushing for one or the other (oh
right, the politics) over better, more useful, future proof systems.

best,
-Rob