   RE: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob@koberg.com]

>What happens when you want to change the Templates style corporation
>wide for a set of docs - say a copyright footer change (copy and paste
>into the new template?)?

Well-paid corporate drones make the changes, send out an announcement and
we download the new ones.  No updates to old docs unless they are very
active.  Otherwise, publish out of a database.  "Oh?  What?  You are a
corporate drone and wouldn't dream of coding in a database?"  Fine.
Let your boss explain that to the bean counters.

>What happens when you want to change what has
>been sent to the client (rather than what can be viewed by a client)?

Can't.  Spilt milk.  On the other hand, those who publish out of a
database send a new URI.  Ain't REST for grand?

> Controlling the chimps is expensive and the bonobos won't pay attention
> anyway so don't waste your time or money.
>
> Lots of things are going on here including politics that would make
> NicTheMach proud, but the trouble is we really don't have a way to
> say when something is
>
> a) open b) open enough c) good enough

>you said not to talk about the politics :) Sure there is politics - OO
>is trying to unwedge MSFT. There are those who care deeply one way or
>the other and those who just want to get their assignment done.

There are the politics of the chimps who want to kill something
and share the meat, then there are the politics of the bonobos who
like an easy-going life so screw around indiscriminately.  Then there
are their close genetic cousins, me and you.  We are able to choose.
We are called 'customers'.

>I just think the whole model of a MSWord, OOWrite or PDF sucks. I can't
>understand why the luminaries are pushing for one or the other (oh
>right, the politics) over better, more useful, future proof systems.

And that is the rub as I see it.  Both sides may be waging a hot war
over a cold market. So maybe Massachusetts is Marley's Ghost, 'procuring'
a chance for Scrooge's redemption because his old partner 'fears the world
too much'.

Create a common core and that shrinkage can be managed for mutual benefit
(the bonobo solution).  Don't do that and we get to watch the chimps bash
the helpless customer while Google is off buying the biggest turkey and
sending it to the Cratchit's for free.

Nothing like a lot of mixed metaphors...

len