   RE: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

Hi.

> Mostly agree but I have to ask:
>
> Why would I need XForms for a word processing program?

XForms itself is not quite right for the job but ultimately you need
SOME way of specifying how the user interacts with the content.  That
includes:
 - how the content looks to the user in the editor
 - how edits are done (straight type in text? drop downs? other widgets?
etc)
 - how the content is constrained/validated

In MS word world, these are all implicit.  If you put a table in your
doc, word gives you the table editing widget set.  Word doesn't let you
type in anything that the word document format can't support.  Word
makes sure the file you save is in word format.

If another application opens the document, it may mimic word's UI for
editing tables or it may provide its own.  That decision is completely
arbitrary, unspecified, and left open to the implementer of the app.

The document can't have data about the editing interface or validation
schema imbedded or linked in it.  This is the stone age compared to the
way  presentation formatting is handled.  Imagine each word processor
interpreting its own ideas about how a document should look when
printed!  Should two apps come up with something different we would look
at them as not being cross-compatible.  Remember when the browser
decided what p's, b's, and li's looked like?  We ended up with site
navigation lost in gif images.

I'm supporting XML end to end in a CMS and this is where the pain is for
me.

I know I've gotten off topic for the original post, which I interpret to
try to address "what semantic information would a document author need
to represent in word processing document format that they can't
represent in XHTML".

I think a similar question is "why use docbook instead of XHTML".
Technically you could use XHTML to represent anything docbook
represents, with the liberal use of naming conventions in the class and
ID attribute values.

I love microformats for simple semantic markup that adds value to
information that is often embedded in web pages to begin with, but I
think trying to turn XHTML into docbook using the same philosophy is a
mistake in practical terms.

The boom microformat (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/boom) is very
close to the edge in my opinion, and I think the shortcomings would
become apparent when you tried to write a real spec for it, do
validation or (to a lesser degree) do complex transforms.