   Re: [xml-dev] ISO schemaTron

At 2005-12-03 19:17 +0000, Fraser Goffin wrote:
>I am slightly concerned about the apparent lack of activity both in
>terms of the ISO ratification and the various schemaTron
>sites/newsgroup/etc...  but this may just be an uninformed view.

ISO ratification is happening, just with some unavoidable delays of a
personal nature by some involved.  There aren't any questions about
the technology.  Volunteer standards work relies on people and
sometimes unexpected personal issues just get in the way.

>hopefully there will be some sort of progress in the near term.

The status of the project is (somewhat cryptically) recorded here,
though the stage dates have not been updated since the summer:

   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/document/secretariat_temp.html#is19757-3

You can see it in the status matrix at stage 40.99:

   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/document/secretariat_temp.html#matrix

There was a single ballot comment:

   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0700.htm#N0652

of the balloted "Final Committee Draft":

   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0600.htm#N0598

Now it is up to Working Group 1 to establish the new stage dates and
prepare the "Final Draft International Standard" document for
submission to the process.

As for reference implementations or sites/newsgroups/etc., that is
outside of my purview on the standardization side.

I'm successfully using Schematron commercially at customer sites, and
as part of my volunteer work for UBL (I'm running my modified 1.5
that supports attribute contexts).  I believe Schematron to be the
only assertion constraint language there is, and even if there are
others, I don't believe they have ever gone towards any kind of
standardization ... I know they haven't through ISO as SC34 would
probably be the place for it to go.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing everything finalized.

>If you hear anything I would be grateful if you would publish to this list.

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                    Crane Softwrights Ltd.
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 Secretariat  Standards Council of Canada

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/