   RE: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

>In which case you should know better, or to be precise
>you should know that Redmond knows better than you what you want!

Every day I get up and come to a job where everyone
is smarter and better trained than I am; yet I remain
unimpressed by people who believe Don Box is a god.
It's a gig.  That's all.  On the other hand, over a
long career if you are lucky enough to work with
people who share your values, you can change the world.
But ask yourself the question a woman has to ask
herself before she accepts a proposal of marriage:
"Do I really want to have this man's babies?"

If not, decline.  If so... shyness is not the way to success.
Otherwise, she's a bonobo.

People working for Microsoft chose to accept the offer.
I honor that.  I don't have to compliment their babies
or dislike them.  I work with them.

Otherwise, I'm a chimp.

>I guess I'm ecstatic when I see XML.... unless its
>generated as a byproduct of some print engine acting
>like an A0 plotter on LSD.
>There ought to be a name for that class of XML...

polkaDotXML.  "Hey everybody be cool.  We'll be
bringing the servers back up as soon as we can
find the online manuals that came with the servers.
Meanwhile, here is some Champagne Music! And a one
and a two..."

>Needed, some bright spark to see through the crud
>to what users want?

Need to bring the debate out of the backrooms, off
the pages of CNet, out of the State houses and onto
a list where there is collective brain power enough
to sort out issues.

If web 2.0 is a real thing, will it be a reliable thing?
Questions of format should be answered before selecting
an architecture, and an architecture before selecting
a vendor.  Otherwise, we're just bonobos.

I want to know if ODF is the best technical solution.
I want to know if ODF is the best cost solution.
I want to know if ODF is the best productivity solution.
I want to know if ODF is the best supported solution.

Google knows where to download the software and will
tell me quickly if and when I ask.

len