   Re: [xml-dev] XML and email

James Fuller wrote:
> doing a bit of ongoing research on any current development
> activity/usage of XML in the context of email (smtp).
>
> XMTP is the first step...but beyond that there is very little ongoing
> work in the area; surprising considering email represents the largest
> knowledge store for most companies.
>
> Any pointers, links, or thoughts would be appreciated on XML usage in
> the context of email/smtp.

I'm not convinced that XML could have a huge role to play in delivering
email. But I do think that the current mess of transport and store
protocols could be successfully replaced by HTTP(S), along the line of
Paul Prescod's

   http://www.prescod.net/rest/restmail/

Presumably, within such a message store, the "folder" collection
resources would return representations in XML (lists of message
metadata). It would then be trivial to implement an XSLT-based webmail
front end in HTML (modo GMail or Hotmail) to manage your mailboxes, or
write a mail client that accesses the XML/MIME resources directly.
--
Chris Burdess