   Re: [xml-dev] XML and email

Chris Burdess wrote:

> I'm not convinced that XML could have a huge role to play in
> delivering email. But I do think that the current mess of transport
> and store protocols could be successfully replaced by HTTP(S), along
> the line of Paul Prescod's
>
>   http://www.prescod.net/rest/restmail/

I agree that XML's role in assisting in the 'transport' aspects of email
is currently limited;  but surely you are not saying that XML has no
role in describing the email message/payload... making it easier to
categorise, query, or integrate?

This seems to be somewhat distantly related to the recent office doc
thread; where textual data docs like notes, word type docs,
presentations, spreadsheets and email resist any kind of XML markup or
doping up with metadata. I think this disagreement is rooted in the fact
that we cant all agree on some standard..not because we think XML has no
part to play.

> Presumably, within such a message store, the "folder" collection
> resources would return representations in XML (lists of message
> metadata). It would then be trivial to implement an XSLT-based webmail
> front end in HTML (modo GMail or Hotmail) to manage your mailboxes, or
> write a mail client that accesses the XML/MIME resources directly.

yes, its akin to my little thought experiment using XMTP perl module and
eXist XMLDB...basically once we get email data into an XML format it
becomes trivial to write interfaces, front ends, etc... informally
described here http://ablog.apress.com/?p=796#more-796

appreciate the link.

cheers, Jim Fuller