From: Paul Denning [mailto:pauld@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 1:21 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Best Practice for URI construction?

This sort of thing was a W3C TAG issue (httpRange-14), which was resolved:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html

<TAG type="RESOLVED">

That we provide advice to the community that they may mint
"http" URIs for any resource provided that they follow this
simple rule for the sake of removing ambiguity:

   a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request
with a
      2xx response, then the resource identified
by that URI
      is an information resource;

   b) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request
with a
      303 (See Other) response, then the
resource identified
      by that URI could be any resource;

   c) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request
with a
      4xx (error) response, then the nature of
the resource
      is unknown.

</TAG>

Paul

At 02:31 PM 2005-12-10, Michael Kay wrote:
> Many of the resources in my work are non-electronic, e.g. persons,
> organisations, equipment. The resources got URIs. The resources (or,
> if you like: the representations of them) are accessible in a
> RESTafarian way.

Well, I'm a person, and I don't have a URI, and I'm not accessible on the
web. The internet will get you only as far as my inbox, and my inbox is not
a representation of me.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/