   Re: [xml-dev] XML and email

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML and email
  • From: Xasima Xirohata <xasima@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:47:00 +0200

I think that XML have to be used in the modern Email systems. While describing my key positions I will base on the (g)mail service provided by Google.

Address book
The mail disadvantage in the current address books is in the absent of user extensibility. For example, there are a lot of email addresses in my gmail address book. Sometime I want to send the letter for my company's colleagues.  When I want to send a good joke, I should choose those of them who is in the group «joking lovers». In a certain day I'd like to congratulate only women from my address books. The easiest solution to provide it is the providing the ability of creation address group. But it's not the good one. I' d like to have the mechanism for adding my own fields, grouping them, searching them. Google provide very good way of prompting what you are trying to type. I would be inspired if I'd got the opportunity to write something like xpath on my address book while trying to compose the letter for one or more address person, to extend my address book with user information tags.

I suspect the only way to naturally provide it is the XML usage.

All mail archive
If you explore the «all mail» folders in the gmail account and consider for a moment what the google has provided, you might probably find that the only thing that the google bring it in is the conception of marking the email data.

Every mail you received could be labeled (plain group organization), stared (marked as favorite), and threaded (grouping the letter in the plain line depending on RE-sequence in subjects). Then all mails are going to be archived. I think that we have really had got the only tags cobweb above the bulk of data.

A mail service in Belarus has provided the concept of sharing data between several web sites hosted like at mail account. It's simple – you want to have personal place for your web site and email account too. Why don't to combine them under the same interface thus you would be able to move attachment or something else from mail to web site easily. The sharing provides the common web data storage between several mail/web accounts. Why do I tell about this? The only reason while I have subscribed to the several mail list is
1) to have ability of monitoring new mail (although it's available at the mail archive like http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/ too) and

2) to have the ability to mark the data with my own tagged semantic relations and apply searching between them. (no one except google 's already provided this yet)

3) to have the opportunity of reply to the certain letter by mouse clicking.

If these are the only things I want why not to avoid mail list data doubling at each google GBs of size, why not to perform the mechanism of sharing the common data. The only things I would have is the my tags marking above the data. Different xml-deviant column writers would provide a good, professional tagged cobweb. I would be able to import that xml.dev.wiki file to enrich my own cobweb.

I suspect the only way to naturally provide it is the XML usage.

Threads of pieces
I like the google conception of the grouping of messages. I like the conception of staring. Why not to provide partial thread starring?  I've had got announcement or educational materials from IBM. I'd like to create my own yellow colored tread of choosed block of text in messages ( i.e. the information about  web services). Then I would be able to open my own thread of starred pieces of data across different mails.

I suspect the only way to naturally provide it is the XML usage.

There are a lot of another points,  but I'm afraid that you say «What's the crazy ideas. Who is your drug supplier?;)»

--
Regards,
          ~ Xasima Xirohata ~