   Re: [xml-dev] A request for some help with ambigious error messagesand x

Liam Quin wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 04:06:53PM -0800, thewade wrote:
>

>>I am trying to make an RSS feed with a couple of additional tags and
>>additional namespaces as allowed by the  document.
>>

>Your DTD does not allow the xmlns:aprox attribute -- delcare it
>as CDATA #IMPLIED on the channel element, and similarly for the
>xmlns:html attribute.

I thought this was inherent to XML though, like how we don't need a
namespace for the < and > characters... Oh well, I made the change but
it seems like a kludge too me.

>However, in practice with RSS, you can't put markup inside the
>description element -- instead, you need to escape it, e.g. with
>a CDATA section or with numeric character references or entities --
>instead of <html:a href="xxxx"> use &lt;a href="xxx"&gt;

Who comes up with the rules for RSS?

>Yes, this is sucky almost beyond belief.

Hear hear!
So if I have a large piece of text I was syndicating it just needs to
all run together into some large run-on paragraph? Sounds like a bad
idea to me, and that is why I am going to keep using markup in my
descriptions. Thunderbird's RSS reader likes my markup, though not my
javascript.

Thanks for the verification! I tried that and the validator passed that
point (http://feedvalidator.org) but it didnt look right.

Also, I have been using an items attribute in the channel tag that holds
the count of all the items in a channel (or in a specific search) for
use in a javascript frontend I am writing. Of course the validator
doesnt like this either. I have yet to test it out on Thunderbird...

Thanks again!
-thewade