   Re: [xml-dev] A request for some help with ambigious error messagesand x

  • To: derek denny-brown <zuligag@gmail.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] A request for some help with ambigious error messagesand xslt stylesheets
  • From: thewade <pdman@aproximation.org>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:15:33 -0800

derek denny-brown wrote:

>I'm not sure what RSS validators you tried, but if you are using the
>W3C's validator, it is probably using the DTD to validate your
>document, and DTDs do not support using namespaces in places that the
>DTD explicitly supports.  (DTDs predate namespaces.)

Hmm. Thanks! I see that I forgot to put in the two resources I was using
to fix my feed: http://feedvalidator.org and
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
So I guess I am confused as to what a namespace is? I thought a DTD WAS
a namespace, as it describes all the possible names and configurations
of names used in a piece of markup. What is a namespace?

>I can't help you with your xslt problem, but you might try using an
>alternate xslt implementation, as my experience with Firefox's XSLT is
>that it's error handling is extremely difficult to debug.  I usually
>fall back to IE or a java xslt processor.

IE wasn't doing my XML correctly, much less XSLT. All I got was code,
even when Firefox was partially transforming my XML into XHTML.
Is there a plugin I need for IE?
What tools do you use?

>As to your last question: XML tags are case sensitive.  The reason is
>that it is next to impossible to be case-insensitive and language
>neutral as different locales have different rules for how to
>case-convert various letters.  One famous example is known as the
>'Turkish I' problem.  Here is a blog about it (just google for more
>info): http://blogs.msdn.com/deeptanshuv/archive/2004/09/04/225720.aspx

Oh, interesting. I hadn't thought about other languages. I might sound
xenocentric, but I always imagined people programming in English in
other countiries. I wonder if the hello world program looks like this in
German C?
#umfassen <nrmlio.h> //Normal IO

nichts main() {
    schreibf("hallo welt!");