Lists Home |
Date Index |
- To: email@example.com, Michael Kay <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Len Bullard <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [xml-dev] MusicXML 1.1 saving from Sibelius; XML document adoption rates?
- From: Michael Good <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:54:29 -0800
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=unuaF0xmI4Q1FW7lToz4JEorH3/v/XN6Cj5WlUKAeZqqTBmLyhd0OUH3fOmtO+4wvFptNwSin+WzHfU7htDMmFu3bArHvHL6R6zQ7jF1GI8fh3lAapgsdatLT6pvY57X8z2XzPb5rwlRBxh9d659DEEFelARy60dX3mfF07B3Eo=
- In-reply-to: <43a933b3.693c2831.6f85.79c9SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <43a933b3.693c2831.6f85.79c9SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
Hi Michael, Len, and Lucas,
Thanks for the interesting comments. In our case, XML technology provided crucial technology that changed the dynamics of the market forces. Music notation software is a small market. Being able to leverage the XML tools investments made by much larger markets was a huge change in the environment. Parsers have been the immediate attraction, but databases may follow in the future.
There have indeed been many XML proposals in the music notation area, but none of the others ever had any significant software support. Unfortunately, the sites that I have found which describe XML vertical applications tend to be weak in describing implementation or adoption rates, much less making distinctions based on these criteria.
Once we built a good two-way translator to one of the market leaders (Finale), we were able to attract other software vendors to the format and things snowballed from there. It's more complicated than that, of course; someday I'll have to write it up in more detail. If there are any case studies regarding XML adoption in any vertical applications outside of music, I would be most interested in seeing these so the story could be told in a broader context.
Len, thanks for the update that GuitarPro 5 is now shipping with its MusicXML support.