   Re: [xml-dev] The order of attributes

Deferring the question to "that's the way SGML did it" is a bit
unsatisfying.

I would guess that some of the old timers on this list would say that
they had discussions about these sorts of issues in the process of
standardizing generalized markup. As I haven't heard any comment, I'll
make a couple of wild suppositions and hope that someone else provides a
more historically accurate version:

An attribute is conceived in SGML as "a characteristic quality, other
than type or content" (4.9). Comparing apples-to-apples (element type,
content, attribute*), one should instead ask the question, "why doesn't
an attribute value have internal order". (It does, even if it doesn't
provide element content inside.)  Put it another way: does it make sense
to ask why the element type and content are not ordered with respect to
one another? Then why order attributes, which provide qualities of an
element, analogous to type and content?

I believe it was also envisioned that people would be creating markup
manually - as many still do to this day.  It would be difficult to
properly read the ordering of attributes, or to accurately infer the
actual order at the time it would be processed, if values were
defaulted. Should DTD ATTLISTs impose an order on attributes?  If you do
that, what do you do about documents processed without the DTD? It is a
usability issue.

Regards,

Mitch