   Re: [xml-dev] Who thought up term XML?

Thanks to both of you - I'd heard both Bosak and Clarke mentioned elsewhere, but not the specific link.

-- Kurt

On 1/6/06, Gavin Thomas Nicol < gtn@rbii.com> wrote:

On Jan 6, 2006, at 10:34 PM, Kurt Cagle wrote:

> Writing a quick history on HTML and XHTML for a book, and I'm
> trying to track down who was the person who proposed the term XML
> or Extensible Markup Language. Anyone know?

It was probably a member of the ERB... I don't remember who. The
oldest public reference at the W3C is the posting by Jon Bosak:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/1996Aug/0002