From: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
To: "'Ram Sundar'" <ram0812@hotmail.com>,<bob@objfac.com>
CC: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Text based search or Xpath search
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:52:02 -0000

If the XML is a file on disk, then it's going to have to be read from disk and parsed into a tree structure before XPath can operate on it. This is likely to take longer than the actual XPath evaluation. However, if you are doing repeated XPath searches, then the parsing only needs to be done once (you can hold the tree in memory).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/