   RE: [xml-dev] Who thought up term XML?

As with IP, it is impossible to protect that which
is not secured with a true history.  On the other
hand, those who know, know Doc and understand the
true history.  I find it ironic that Microsoft
protects that better than others.

True story:  I was at a gig last Wednesday when
a young fellow at the bar introduced himself as
'one of the people who wrote the code for Mosaic'.
I felt a bit sorry for him as he had inadvertently
stumbled into the one person in Huntsville who wouldn't
be terribly impressed by that but thinking I was just
the guitar player, it didn't matter to him which is ok.
He didn't know and it isn't important.

Then he told me about Von Braun and his team coming here
in 1941 to help us fight the Germans.

That isn't ok.  A university grad can't be that clueless
or the degree and thereby the university are.

It isn't important if we are heroes or winners;
it is important that we are fair witnesses. The
rest is just stuff.

len

From: Ken North [mailto:kennorth@sbcglobal.net]

Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>> But this is interesting:
 Votes Acronym Full Name
  5 XML Extensible Markup Language

XML was derived from SGML, which was Generalized Markup Language before it
became a standard. The term "markup" and the acronym GML were chosen
deliberately to fit the initials of the co-developers (Charles Goldfarb, Ed
Mosher, Ray Lorie).

Considering Charles Goldfarb's contribution, it's rather ironic the G was
dropped from subsequent names such as HTML and XML.