len

From: bryan rasmussen [mailto:rasmussen.bryan@gmail.com]

>All of the
> decisions that determine the direction of the
> evolution of the web are being made by people
> who never write a line of code.  I know the myth
> is otherwise and it is a very useful myth, but it
> is exactly that and no more.

Are some of these decisions made by people who have written a line of
code? No waitaminute, I think I saw a blog post lately where Tim
Berners-Lee munged together some script to do some little thing. Does
this count as writing code, and is he high enough level in the not so
far clarified hierarchy of the world you seem to be referring to that
he can be said to have something to do with the evolution of the web?

Do these people who make decisions without ever writing code ask for
position papers from people who sometimes writes code (for some values
of the term 'code')? Or do they sometimes just whitestamp something on
the basis of what someone who writes code (infrequently I'm sure)
tells them?

Do the people who write position papers for the non-code writers to
consume and consider before coming with their decisions ever interact
with people who do their little blog stuff? I think it might be an
ecosystem, at least enough of one that blanket denunciations of the
myth are disputable.

Then again I agree the possession of authority by blogging in some
folks does lead to grandiose visions of influence.