   Re: [xml-dev] Why CCTS?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Why CCTS?
  • From: <abcoatesecure-xmldev@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:22:10 +0000 (GMT)

Dear David,

    Hi.  I think we met at XML 2005 last year.  I've
recently become a UK representative to the UN/CEFACT
TMG that produces CCTS (http://www.untmg.org/).

--- David Carver <d_a_carver@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1.  Why make the switch to CCTS?
> 2.  What are the short term and long term benefits.
> 3.  Are there any down sides to migrating to CCTS?

The long term advantage to everyone will be if we
adopt a common methodology, so that we aren't all
re-inventing the same wheel every time one of us
starts a new project.  That is what I am looking for
CCTS to deliver.

Pragmatically, my experience is that data and
methodology standards often don't pay for themselves
until there are software applications available which
support those standards.  As a really early adopter,
you have to write as much software as you would for a
proprietary approach, and possible more (if your
proprietary approach is narrower in scope than the
standards approach).

I expect UBL to make CCTS use widespread, but people
won't be using it *because* it is CCTS, they will be
using it because that is what their trading partners
are using.  They won't realise they are using CCTS
under the hood/bonnet.  Once there is that momentum in
the market, I think there will be a business case to
do new work using CCTS, and possible move some
existing work.  SAP is moving to using CCTS in its
products too, that will cause other folks to move to
CCTS, possibly without realising it.

You are going to have to make a serious decision about
where on the adoption curve you want to be.  I think
it's fair to say that CCTS is still at the early
adopters stage, and possibly will be for a couple more
years.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates