   RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechani

  • To: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechanisms/Patterns of Information Usage and Formation?
  • From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:41:09 -0500

Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> So, first you need to decide what the real
> fundamentals of your information space are:
> HTTP, URIs, HTML, XML, etc.

My interest is at a higher level.  I would like to abstract away from
specific "formats", and understand the general mechanisms/patterns that
have emerged on the Web for formulating and delivering "information".

Joseph Chiusano referenced an article that said:

"Web pages as the face of the Web are becoming less important in
general. Rather, the foundation for the Global SOA has Web services as
the underpinning."

I disagree wholeheartedly with the referenced article.  The whole point
of my message is that networked "information" is the underpinning of
the Web, not any particular technology or format.  Web services (SOA)
is just one of many mechanisms/patterns of information formation and
delivery.  One mechanism/pattern is neither better nor inferior than
another.  My objective is to understand how to effectively utilize the
whole set of mechanisms/patterns, i.e., to be able to effectively
utilize all the information on the Web, in an integrated, holistic
fashion.

Simon North wrote:

> What about chat, P2P, IM, IRC, blogspace ... surely
> they are all part of the information space?

Yes, good catch Simon.  Thanks.

/Roger