   Re: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechani

On 1/20/06, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
> > So, first you need to decide what the real
> > fundamentals of your information space are:
> > HTTP, URIs, HTML, XML, etc.
>
> My interest is at a higher level.  I would like to abstract away from
> specific "formats", and understand the general mechanisms/patterns that
> have emerged on the Web for formulating and delivering "information".

If you're not going to define what you mean by "Web" then you might as
well ask what patterns have emerged in computing?  Are device drivers
reading files off of disk are part of the "pattern"? Sounds like it to
me. Or go completely abstract: we've got data, editors, browsers,
protocols, as patterns (and not much else).

> Joseph Chiusano referenced an article that said:
>
> "Web pages as the face of the Web are becoming less important in
> general. Rather, the foundation for the Global SOA has Web services as
> the underpinning."
>
> I disagree wholeheartedly with the referenced article.  The whole point
> of my message is that networked "information" is the underpinning of
> the Web, not any particular technology or format.  Web services (SOA)
> is just one of many mechanisms/patterns of information formation and
> delivery.  One mechanism/pattern is neither better nor inferior than
> another.  My objective is to understand how to effectively utilize the
> whole set of mechanisms/patterns, i.e., to be able to effectively
> utilize all the information on the Web, in an integrated, holistic
> fashion.

So then the "Web" is any way of doing distributed graph traversal and
the question is what are the best ways to use computers to do this?
Still seems far to broad of question to get any meaningful answers...

--
Peter Hunsberger