   RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e.,Mechanis

> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:41:09 -0500
> From: costello@mitre.org
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechanisms/Patterns of Information Usage and Formation?

> My interest is at a higher level. I would like to abstract away from
> specific "formats", and understand the general mechanisms/patterns that
> have emerged on the Web for formulating and delivering "information".
>
> Joseph Chiusano referenced an article that said:
>
> "Web pages as the face of the Web are becoming less important in
> general. Rather, the foundation for the Global SOA has Web services as
> the underpinning."
>
> I disagree wholeheartedly with the referenced article. The whole point
> of my message is that networked "information" is the underpinning of
> the Web, not any particular technology or format.

I guess I disagree at least somewhat with your disagreement.  I see the Web as a set of technologies and formats, used for all sorts of diverse purposes. Grand architectural principles are grafted on (or reflect the intent of certain designers of the Web, e.g. REST) but are at best abstractions that cover best guesses or best practices, not fundamental aspects of an "information space" or whatever.

I know this is a permathread, but I see the Web as something that evolved, not something created by Intelligent Design.  One can find general mechanisms / patterns in organisms that have evolved, but finding the true underpinnings leads you back to evolution itself.  That's satisfying in some abstract way, but doesn't give you much practical guidance about what will actually work.

What do you hope to gain from understanding the mechanisms / patterns of the Web as an information space, as opposed to understanding the features / limitations of the technologies that implement it?