   Re: [xml-dev] Text to XML

> I have a requirement in which I need to convert some text output of some
> command into xml so that I can parse it with a parser based upon some
> schema. I also have xml file(annotation) for that output.  Can anybody
> suggest me some already available tool for it?

As Bob noted, a bunch of vendors will start suggesting their products. I'll
be the first to lead the pack. xmlLinguist was developed for just this
reason, a tool to translate text into XML. It does a very quick translation,
not a transformation. By this I mean it simply takes the text and makes it
XML. It does not move nodes around, create new nodes, etc. It also does not
perform any validation. Once the text is in XML, there are already good
tools to validate and transform, XSD and XSL respectively. By not
transforming the text, all effort was put into translating text into XML
efficiently.

There are some caveats to xmlLinguist. A) it's Windows based. If your
project uses Windows, then xmlLinguist can be an option (it uses COM for
automating the translation) B) since it does use COM, you will need to put
in some programming "glue", either through a simple VBScript of another
programming language of choice (C#, VB, Delphi, C++, even an Excel Macro
could use it). There's a good tutorial online that explains how to do this
at http://www.sysonyx.com/xml-to-edi-850  C) a small cost for the mapping
tool $79.95 USD, but the runtime automation engine if free (both the COM
object and the command-line EXE).

If you are still insterested, there's a 30 day trial download of xmlLinguist
at http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmllinguist . And if not, there are other
tools out there that does a similar job, though we'd probably need to know
more of your situation to properly recommend (such as platform, size, etc).

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlHack, the Simple XML Editor
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmlhack