   RE: [xml-dev] Invitation to metadata dictionary wiki - meaningfuel.org

Which makes it suitable for picking the contestants on
American Idol but probably not for picking tools to
use in surgery.

The problem of the 'wisdom of crowds' is knowing
'crowds of what?' in advance of applying the wisdom.

It's not simply a matter of merging but also of
knowing what levels of abstract to concrete terms
a merged term belongs to.

object -> vehicle -> car

merge: transportation

The problem of Darwinian systems is that some
competitors agree not to compete and also to
eliminate the third party, aka, market fixing.
That is the chimp way.  You are building a
chimp ontology.

That's fine.  Chimps need them.

len

From: ROR [mailto:dev@rorweb.com]

Hi Jonathan,

Good questions! I think the best way to look at the meaningfuel wiki
is as some sort of "natural selection metadata". Some terms will
vanish after two weeks, other more adequate terms, will live forever.
Similar terms (i.e. from different ontologies) will compete, and here
too, only the most adequate ones will survive.

From time to time we plan to produce a release of the dictionary,
which  will only contain those terms that have reached sufficient
stability and maturity.