   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Launches Incubator Activity

Given that the principle advantage of open source is shared
development costs and risks, shared research costs and risks
should be attractive.  At least it proves a specification and
it is much closer to the running code and rough consensus
philosophy.  My only quibble will be if a standard is announced
prior to market acceptance.  I think that's a higher non-technical
barrier but one that has to be crossed.

<rant excuse="It's Friday">
People fear the BigCos and the DeepPockets.  If the Internet
era teaches one lesson it is that these guys don't always
win.  VRML is a good example.  All of the BigCos and
DeepPockets efforts died regardless of the fuel.  The VRML
junkyard dogs just keep keeping on and no amount of
"We will crush you" (MS), or "We can ignore you"
(Shockwave) or "We'll take all your members
and go play our own game" (Intel U3D) or Clay Shirky's
"VRML is dead. Good riddance.."  has worked.
X3D/VRML is still standing and gaining ground.

Nothing is better than dedicated persistence and values.
It may not go as fast but it always wins.  While that
contradicts accepted marketing wisdom, it is demonstrably
true.  That is the one indisputable evolutionary effect
of the World Wide Web on choices of choices.  In aggregate and
given a choice, the humans bet on the good guys and somehow
know who they are.

The incubation of human spirit is an awesome process.
</rant>

len