   Re: [xml-dev] 2SimpleXML

Hi Scott,

Le vendredi 10 février 2006 à 11:49 -0800, Redefined Horizons a écrit :
> I don't want to set off another debate about subsets of XML, but I
> wanted to post this for others benefit. :]
>
> I have put up a rough draft of my specification for 2SimpleXML. Other
> developers that are interested in using a simpler subset of XML might
> want to take a look at it. I will be using 2SimpleXML in some
> application development on one of my other projects, so I will be
> maintaining the specification for the foreseeable future.
>
> If others are interested in creating a more "official" version of the
> specification that they can reference, I would be willing to do so.
> (Although I'm not sure how this would be accomplished.)
>
> I am open to constructive criticism and suggestions on the spec from
> this group. I actually need help with a couple of things:
>
> [1] Do I need to specify that documents in 2SimpleXML should be in a
> standard character set, as they did for MinimalXML? If so which
> charcter set should I use? I'm guessing it would be Unicode of one
> sort or another...

Yes, it seems wise to push for utf-8 and utf-16 encodings since they are
the most interoperable...

> [2] I would like to provide a way to escape the "<" and ">" characters
> in the content of a 2SimpleXML element. I was thinking I would just
> use the "\" character as my escape character. In this case the
> following would be possible:
>
> <sample> The "test" element in this line would not be recognized by a
> 2SimpleXML parser. /<test\>Testing\<\/test/><\sample>
>
> Is there a better way to do this?

That depends if you want to define a real subset of XML, i.e. if a
2SimpleXML document needs to be a well formed document.

The benefit if you do so is that you'll be able to process 2SimpleXML
documents through any XML tool.

If you want to keep this compatibility, you can't accept "/<" which
isn't well formed.

Why not keep the XML way to escape these characters (&lt; and &gt;)?

Eric

--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Le premier annuaire des apiculteurs 100% XML!

Ceci est une partie de message=?ISO-8859-1?Q?num=E9riquement?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_sign=E9e?=