   Re: [xml-dev] Validation - Is it worth it ?

>Not many systems meet those criteria.

Agreed (as stated).

But the conundrum (if there is one) can also be viewed as :-

a. I want to exercise [some] control over messages that arrive at the
service interface so that I have a reasonable degree of confidence that the
message is 'business processable' and that (as you say) there is confidence
that exploitation of the service will be caught by the business rules that
provide the actual implementation.

b. I want consumers to call my service (I want to do business)

c. I want to minimise message rejection where (a) is true.

d. I want calling my service to be EASY for consumers (re: Tim Ewald's
notion of 'make it easy for people to pay you ' :-).

e. That the service is not just a slave to a technical contract which is
actually expressed more strictly than the actual business process.

Sometimes I think about this as the difference between 'compatible' messages
versus those which strictly adhere to a technical specification. Perhaps its
really to do with how closely that specification mirrors the business
requirements for the service that 'we' want to implement (given, as I said
in my original post, that the contract is owned by an external body) ?

Fraser.