   RE: [xml-dev] Versioning of Enums

In MISMO we have had a lot of discussions about enumerated values. We have
come to the conclusion that semantically the definition of an enumerated
field is its enumerations.  Therefore changing the enumerations changes the
definition.

If someone wants to limit the list of values used in a particular use case
that is something that the business logic can detect.  If the list can be
portioned into two disjoint sets for two different use cases then
semantically there are two different definitions and one should consider
making that clear in the standard.

Adding enumerations locally seems like a poor practice.  If the local
definition is semantically different from that of the standard you should
not have it masquerading as if it was the same. It should be made obvious
that to exchange data with others in the standard way you cannot just send
the local data.

MISMO allows transport of off list values by including "Other" in all
enumerations and providing a field "TypeOtherDescription" for each
enumerated data field.  This can be subject to a lot of abuse. We try to
keep a lid on it by encouraging people to only use it where the pace of
business change is faster that the pace of standards making.

For example, a credit provider might want to implement a new scoring model.
MISMO defines when the enumeration will look like in a future release and
the model name can be carried in the (Other, TypeOtherDescription) structure
for all previous versions.

Certainly two trading partners could agree to use "other" or to have
expanded enumerations, but then they can no longer say that its compliant
with the standard.

We have looked at a variety of methods of inheritance available in W3C XSD,
however the tools support is so spotty that we have been uncomfortable in
using it in the standard.

Members of our group have worked out using xs:redefines to allow the
standard definition enumerations to be added to or filtered for local use.
within a know set of tools it seems to work.  This method documents the
difference in business semantics between the local and standard definitions.

Greg