   Re: [xml-dev] Using The Principle of Least Power As A Razor

   THE PROBLEM IN EVERY PROBLEM IS TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM.

Do you approach a problem differently if the objective is unknown?

Objectives known and fixed in time, space, language, and culture =
solutions to be evaluated in terms of access parameters (speed, time,
input difficulty and the like) and quality of output.

Objectives unknown and moving in time, space, language, and culture =
proposed technologies discover the parameters of the objective over time
in the light of language, culture, circumstance and position.

A prime example of this second type of problem solving occurred when the
Internet was at its beginnings, everyone sought to determine how best to
use it.

Browsers were problematic, FTP was the prime means of packet transport,
and email might take a day or two, routing was done via Linux and Unix
boxes, only a few even knew it existed, and those that did were struggling
to learn how to use the multitude of new tools each of us were creating.
hacking was a way of learning and the techs would discourage the
occasional marketing efforts with denial of service attacks via telnet
from high speed networks.

The days before the startling giveaway by Netscape of a Browser that
could actually scroll an image to the screen embedded in text. ( 15
minutes at 300 baud to load the page?).

The discovery of just what was the problem, was the problem. Each new
technology brought new lights of experience and surfaced new problems,
but no complete solutions.

What has recently surfaced in this discovery of the problem process is
laws, lawyers, government rule making agencies and their greedy for profit
clients together with government and their hungry for power over everyone
mindsets.

Time has shown that they are a very large part of the problem.
Insurmountable even because they are attempting to force the technology to
fit into their traditional elite-franchised nation state systems and to
segment and control the information environment and to claim ownership
of most of it (Rule: the elite intend to profit from their rule.).

In pre Internet days, rule of law and a system of treaties were enough to
maintain complete control of all humanity both domestically and
internationally.

The Internet has challenged not only the power of the traditional elite to
maintain adequate control, but also the viability of the nation state
system itself.

The Internet is to the nation state system what Martin Luther's post to
the church door was in the 15th century, one more giant leap in the human
quest to bring full access and full power of control of self to "self".

Unrestricted access to the knowledge, information and technology
that civilization has to offer is a human right to which every single
person alive is entitled.

The Internet has shown that no law, no rule or tradition of property, no
right of nations should be allowed to abridge the human right to it, but
experience has shown that laws, if allowed, will domainate.

Believe you me, the nation state system is gearing up to meet the
challenge.  Until recently, few have seen that challenge as a problem in
the Internet.

In the Radio and TV act of 1948 terminated independent free access to
the broadcast spectrum and created the FCC.  Thousands had to shut down
their transmitters for lack of license, money or whatever.

Anyone could be a broadcaster but the act restricted broadcasting to
government licensees only. It made it technically and financially
difficult to be a broadcaster.  This I believe is about to happen on the
net. Soon internet servers will be licensed by government only to the few
who the elite will deem worthy to gate information to the minds of the
many.  The government will determine who will filter information and who
will earn profit from serving infomation content.

If ever something was loosely assembled at its bare minimums
it was the Internet and the results thus far have been astounding. Left
unconstrained, the Internet could be the tool that saves humanity from its
leaders.

sterling