   Re: [xml-dev] xml xsl web architecture

On 2/23/06, Anthony Ettinger <aettinger@sdsualumni.org> wrote:
> Why not just do it in the xsl file?
>
> The xsl file will be applied to an xml data file from the backend for
> dynamic data, user info, etc.
>
> I assume you mean something like:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <head>
> <foo:title><arg:text>Some Title</arg:text></foo:title>
> </head>
>
> I'm thinking doing this directly in xsl would save the problem of
> having to write templates for each html tag.

No.  Say in your XSL the XHTML elements have a namespace of "gunk"
then the generic transform would basically be:

<xsl:template match="gunk:*">
    <xsl:element name="{local-name()}">
        <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
    </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

that will strip the namespace off the XHTML elements and send them to
the front end,  so that an H1 is an H1 a P is a P, etc.  Anything with
a different name space gets handled according to whatever custom logic
you need.

--
Peter Hunsberger