   RE: Re: [xml-dev] The Rule of Least Power - does it miss the point?

Ok.  I have to give up on this one, because I'm lost.  I hadn't been
exposed to the terminology you were using relating to cybernetics, but
from the point of view that you just stated, yeah:  multiple viewpoints
across the same data is a good thing.  I was taking what you said less
literally, so maybe the tangent wasn't fair.

I'm also familiar with the blackboard pattern (although not directly
from Sowa, but I can't remember where I saw it first right now).  I've
used a modified version of it to handle sync/async interactions in the
implementation of the Half Sync/Half Async pattern, but I'm not sure
what the rest of what you're talking about is except for it's use in
occasionally connected clients.

ditto the reference to the O'Reilly conference.

I take your earlier comment about the context for what the original
start for the thread was:  the web and only the web.  Fair enough, but
from a few other things going on over the last few days, it's really
driven home that in several cases, we need a lot less zeal and a bit
more critical thinking & actual understanding of how people solve
problems.  A lot of people don't articulate the why, only the how, and
that makes it difficult when it comes time to change it later.
Originally totally unrelated, but I was reading something that caused me
to revisit Brooks and found this gem:

"It is far better to be explicit and wrong than to be vague."

At least we know where you're coming from (where you != Len, because I'm
certainly not talking about you or your comments).  Guess I just let my
annoyance at some other stuff interrupt the thread.  So, no, I wasn't
talking about the web, The Rule of Least Power, cybernetics, blackboards
or anything concrete.

Back to lobotomizing some architectural principles in the name of
backward compatibility... *sigh*

ast

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.