   RE: Re: [xml-dev] The Rule of Least Power - does it miss the point?

  • To: "Andrew S. Townley" <andrew.townley@bearingpoint.com>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [xml-dev] The Rule of Least Power - does it miss the point?
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:45:39 -0600
  • Cc: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Ummm... that's a structured clipboard and a user-built
application.  5 cents, please.  The point of a subjective
approach is to enable multiple viewpoints over the
same information.  See RSS/Delimited ASCII.  It isn't
always safe but it shifts the risk to the buyer/hearer.
RSS/Atom is the ultimate in XML weasel-wording and that's ok.
Dare to expect less.  You won't be disappointed.

It used to be called a blackboard.  John Sowa makes a
case for this architecture in his paper on architectures
for intelligent systems noting that AI systems have
been doing it like that for decades.  Now that Ozzie
has reinvented it and it is the next new thing, I'll
wait a few years for the monkeyBuzz to build, then
show him the patents we have on this technique that's
been in use for occasionally connected clients for
years and years.

O'Reilly conferences are the biggest bullsh*t generators
in the history of the web.  Yet as in the "Magic Christian",
that doesn't stop people from diving into the pool... after
all, the money is as real as the stuff it's floating in.

"If you want it, here it is. Come and get it
But you better hurry cuz it may not last..." - Badfinger

len

From: Andrew S. Townley [mailto:andrew.townley@bearingpoint.com]

What we need to spend more time on articulating is the context in which
these "truths" hold so that everyone can be able to evaluate them
effectively based on their own needs and understanding, e.g. their own
personal context.  If we can achieve this sort of thing, we'll be a lot
better at picking the right tool for the job because we'll have a much
better understanding of both the tool and the job.