   Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

fwiw, we use xsltproc to parse documents. we have one application which
produces complex forms (a la xsl-fo, but our own vocabulary, for our own
reasons).
we also use it to distribute transactions between servers.

my observations - for small messages and documents it all seems to be
fast enough (haven't had any performance issues to cause me to measure it).

as message size grows, the predictability of the performance decreases,
in a way that can't be explained by disc caching.

at some point the system slows to unusable (xml source around
500k->1mb). i'll admit at this point that the style sheet is also large.
sadly the performance looks to be o(n2) - and this is the important
point. it is degrading at a much faster rate than the increase in the
message size.

some initial investigation reveals that the vast majority of the time is
spent parsing the input strings and coping with utf-8. i haven't had
time to play with the string parsing yet, but i'm hoping for a classic
o(nlogn) performance at the end.

david veillard may be able to comment further on this.

rick

David Carver wrote:

> This is a pretty general question, and I know that it can very from
> application to application, and even from parser to parser.   However,
> I'm curious if anybody has any links to some performance tests that
> show the overall time a transaction takes to complete, and how much of
> that overall transaction time is devoted to parsing or validation of
> an XML file.   Particularly, from retrieving an XML file from a data
> store, and then completing the end transaction.
>
> I've been requested to provide some numbers to show that actual XML
> validation results and parsing are a small portion of the overall
> transaction process, when dealing with XML in a B2B process.  Any
> information that can be provided would be appreciated.
>
> Dave

> !DSPAM:4421bf0c103379137362908!

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall