   Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation
  • From: Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:22:58 +1100
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

?

o(n2) is what you get when something is wrong. what we want is o(n log
n). otherwise we can't scale to large documents.

and fwiw the 24k doc takes about 1.2sec to process. the 3.25M takes 1h20m.

iow i could do it faster by splitting the document into small bits and
doing each separately, rather than combine them into a single document.

this is a critical issue imho because i have clients upset that big
documents take so long to process.

and if you want to deliver these things to browsers, they'll time out on
even moderate size documents.

rick

Michael Kay wrote:

>>performance part 1. using xlstproc (xmlsoft.org)
>>
>>stylesheet approx 50k
>>
>>xml in approximate doublings in size from 24k to 3.25M (7 test files)
>>
>>the processing time goes up by a factor approx 4 for every
>>doubling in
>>size - looks o(n2) to me.
>>

>I'm not sure why you're telling us this. We all know that it is possible to
>write an O(n^2) program in any language of sufficient power. And it doesn't
>need 50K (bytes? lines?) of code to do it.
>
>Michael Kay
>http://www.saxonica.com/

>!DSPAM:442503c785741804284693!

begin:vcard